Democracy in Action 1st Quarter

Zack VZ
Ms. Keener
AP Government
11 November 2016
Democracy in Action 1st Quarter
Reluctantly, I went to a court hearing over this quarter, and learned about the judicial system. The event was a hearing I was in for a ticket given after an accident on the highway, in which the man in front of me stopped abruptly on the highway. To the hearing again, I was told my rights and my obligations, what I could ask for and what my choices were and consequences for them. The judge described each and made sure I understood what I was being told. She then also made sure I had time to talk with my parents about the choices and for us to all agree. Eventually she gave me her decision on what was going to happen with me, made sure I understood, and a final signature to prove I agreed.
This event shows a great deal into our governmental system. The judge was of importance in our government as a branch of the judicial branch. This particular event was with the local government as it was not a state or federal judge, but a county court that I had to attend. I learned that some courts care about the individual and their sense of privacy, from how my family was in a room with only the judge, so that others could not listen to our discussion over the charges. This event tells how the justice system in America works with small cases on a local scale, and how individuals are processed and fairly tried if they wish.