Jon Klassen

Jon Klassen is a writer and illustrator of children’s books. For his newest book, Jon teamed up with author Lemony Snicket on a book called “The Dark”.  

Click here to see the book on Amazon

Mrs. Ward has announced that Jon Klassen and Lemony Snicket (A Series of Unfortunate Events) are coming TO OUR SCHOOL! They will be here on April 4th! 

Klassen won the 2013 Caldecott Medal for illustration, recognizing This Is Not My Hat, which he also wrote.

Click here to see the inside!

He is also well known for his 2011 picture book I Want My Hat Back, about a bear who is looking for his hat. It was one of the “10 Best Illustrated Children’s Books for 2011” according to The New York Times.

Click here to read the New York Times book review.

Additionally, he was named a 2013 Caldecott Honor recipient for his illustrations in Extra Yarn by Mac Barnett.

Click here to peak inside!

He was also the art director of the animated video for U2’s “I’ll Go Crazy If I Don’t Go Crazy Tonight

U2’s “I’ll Go Crazy If I Don’t Go Crazy Tonight

In 2010, Klassen illustrated Maryrose Wood’s The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place: The Mysterious Howling.

Click here to meet the Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place!

He achieved international recognition when he was awarded the Governor General’s Award for English-language children’s illustration for illustrating Cat’s Night Out by Carolyn Stutson.

Click here to read a review by Little Lamb Books

In 2006, he made an animated short with Dan Rodriques, An Eye for Annai.

This film was made by Jon Klassen and Dan Rodrigues in their third year at Sheridan College’s Classical Animation Program. Everything is hand drawn and animated. They colored the animation digitally, and the backgrounds are a mix of traditional and digital. Jon played the recorder for the soundtrack, and the jazz music near the middle is from Louis Armstrong‘s “Jeepers Creepers“.