Saving City X with 3D Printer Powers

Humans have just landed on an alien planet, and they’ve found an area for their first city, City X. The only resource they brought with them was a 3D printer. They were starting to encounter some problems that they needed our help to solve. We were given a challenge to create new inventions with the 3D printer that they can use to solve their problems. 

The citizen I needed to help was Shaun. His problem was that he had found a sick animal that he wanted to help, but he did not know how. Using the design process, I came up with a plan to help him. The design process is six steps to designing an idea. Those steps are Empathize, Define the problem, Ideate (or brainstorm), Prototype, Test and Share.

First I needed to Empathize and understand the person and their problem. My person was Shaun and he needed a way to help an animal. Second, I needed to Define the problem I was trying to solve. I needed to solve the problem of there being sick animals in City X. Third, I needed to Ideate and think of some possible solutions to my problem. Some of my ideas were a plastic plant that could be put near the animal’s home that lets off an aroma to kill viruses and keep away predatory animals, a virus or any sickness killing perfume that the animal likes the scent of, or a cast mold that could be filled with dirt and water that would harden and fix their broken limb. I decided to combine some of those ideas to get an all in one spray with water, good scents, medicine,  and sanitizer. It can be sprayed on the body to create a thin shield keeping the viruses out, sprayed in the air to kill bacteria, and it also smells good to keep the animal happy. The medicine compartment can be sprayed separately to help and already sick animal.  

After I had my idea, I needed to take the fourth and fifth steps, which were Prototype and Test. I drew 3 different designs to prototype my idea. I tested them by making models of the drawings out of clay. I improved and edited them so that the invention was easier to hold, bigger, and more unique than other inventions similar to it. Once I had a few models, I chose the best one and drew the top, side and front of it. I then went into tinkercad and designed the 3D design.

The final step was to Share my project with you. After I completed all these steps, I had my finished design. After using the design process, I completely understood the problem and the citizen, I brainstormed new ideas, I prototyped and tested my design, and I shared it with others. Now that I have printed my design, Shaun’s problem is solved and there will not be any more sick animals in City X!