My Ecosystem in a Jar!

The most recent project I completed in my biology class was to create a self-sustaining ecosystem, sealed inside of a jar. The purpose of the ecosystem was to demonstrate the different cycles, processes, and chains that matter and energy flow through. Through the unit, our class discussed food webs and pyramids, trophic cascades, the water cycle, the carbon cycle, and carrying capacity. Food webs and pyramids demonstrate the how matter and energy travel from organism to organism. The carbon cycle is the endless cycle of carbon in multiple forms, including carbon dioxide and glucose, that is transformed by multiple processes, such as photosynthesis and cellular respiration. The water cycle is the path that water takes as it moves through different phases, such as evaporation, condensation, precipitation, and transpiration. Below are graphics that shows these processes as they would occur in my ecosystem. 

Throughout this project, I demonstrated many of the skills on the Fairview Advantage wheel. Specifically, I demonstrated the skills create and communicate by developing an infographic (shown below) and an informative vlog about my jar. I created examples of the carbon cycle, water cycle, and food web, and combined them into a poster. I communicated by sharing my vlog with others to inform them about how I created my jar. If I ever do this project again, I think I would chose a more diverse array of animals in my jar, and possibly conduct an experiment to determine a keystone species in my jar. Overall, creating my ecosystem was an interesting and educational experience, and I am interested to see how it develops over time.

One thought on “My Ecosystem in a Jar!

1. June,
    Your final product is BEAUTIFUL and I would love to have it framed / laminated and kept for all time (if will allow it.) . Keep up the good work!