What’s In Our Water? – 8th Grade Science Fair

This year, for the eighth-grade science classes, our school held a Science Fair. We were challenged to come up with a topic that interested us and then research it and learn more about it. Then, we designed and conducted an experiment around that topic. While completing our experiment, we collected data that we would later graph, analyze and summarize in a conclusion. I created the slideshow above to explain my experiment and the data I collected and then presented it along with my tri-fold at the Science Fair. At the bottom of this page, I have included the Abstract for my Research Paper and a picture of my tri-fold.

In September, we started to plan out or topics and experiments. I chose a biology topic for my project and decided to research the bacteria in various types of water.  Using a research question, I investigated my topic and came up with a plan for my experiment. I would grow bacteria in Petri Dishes with five different types of water.  In October, I started to gather my materials, like the Petri dishes. Once I had my experiment planned and set up, I just needed to collect the water samples, which I did at the beginning of November. For my experiment, I used water from Lake Erie, Rocky River, Bain Park Creek, tap water and collected rainwater. Over the course of six days, I measured and observed the bacteria to see which type of water grew the most. The data collection took a little longer then I thought, and I finished my experiment towards the end of November. Next time, I could probably start a little earlier.

Abstract

The topic and purpose of this experiment was to see how much mold and bacteria is produced by different types of water, and how the different types of water affect the resulting mold and bacteria. Using rainwater, tap water and samples from Lake Erie, Bain Creek, and Rocky River, I grew mold and bacteria in five different Petri Dishes. Each day for six days, I measured the surface area of the mold and bacteria produced in each dish. The results this experiment provided allow me to conclude that as the type of water changes, the type and amount of bacteria and mold also changes. I am mostly confident in the accuracy of my results and feel that they serve as a visual for how contaminated our water can be.